Q and A: International Student Seeking Permanent Residency Options

Question: After being in Quebec as a PhD student for three and a half years, I am wondering if I am able to apply for permanent residency prior to the time that my education is complete. Are there certain special conditions or some advantages that can be used for PhD students?

Answer: You may be able to complete Canadian immigration through QSWP, which is the Quebec Skilled Worker Program. The other option is the Quebec Experience Class. With the QSWP, it is unfortunately not open at this time to most international candidates. However, you may be cap exempt if you happen to have a certificat d’acception du Quebec or CAQ. It is presumable that you already hold such a study permit for your studies in Quebec and that you have already lawfully admitted for a period of time that totals at least one calendar year. As far as the PEQ, if you are working on a course of study at an educational institution in Quebec, you can submit a request within six months prior to the time that your course of study is to end. The processing of your application will be complete once the confirmation is received along with final transcripts. You must also be able to demonstrate exemplary knowledge of French orally (advanced intermediate).

Enjoyed this post? Share it!