Top Canada Jobs: Professional Engineering Practice

Engineers are among the most highly looked up professions in Canada and always has high demand for engineers in a wide range of fields all over the country.

These professionals are needed in order to maintain operations in various industries. Because of that, Canada ensures a very generous immigration program for engineers from foreign countries.

From very high salaries to extremely appealing labor market, engineers are assured that they’ll have a good life as Canadian immigrants.

Engineering: An Elite Profession

Engineering is almost an exclusive profession in Canada. As much as there are so many benefits awaiting skilled engineers, there are also some hardships involved.
The good: You can apply for an engineering license and work in Canada even if you’re not a Canadian citizen or not a permanent resident.

The not-so-good: The country imposes strict guidelines to those who aspire to work as engineers in the country. A license is a must for someone to be able to practice as a ‘Professional Engineer’ – having an engineering degree is not enough. Anyone who practices as a ‘professional engineer’ without a license will be prosecuted.

What you need to know: If you are an engineer who wants to work in Canada, you need to apply for a license in the province where you will be working and living. There are two options available for you, depending on whether you already met all the requirements or just halfway to meeting them:

Engineer-in-Training. This will be your status in case you have already met all the academic requirements but are still working to meet all other requirements. You can still work in the field of engineering with this status, but you need to be supervised by a ‘professional engineer’.

Professional Engineer. This will be your status if you have already completed and passed all requirements. You can already use the title ‘professional engineer’ legally and can practice engineering in your industry.

Below, outlined are the different requirements to become a professional engineer in Canada and enjoy all the benefits that the government offers.

Requirements to Get a License as a Professional Engineer

The specific requirements will usually differ from province to province, but there are some general assessments that every applicant needs to undergo.

Academic Evaluation

In most cases, the minimum education level required here is 4 years of undergraduate study in a certain field of engineering. If you have a degree from a foreign school, your degree will be evaluated to determine its equivalent in the Canadian system.

Aside from degree, an applicant may also be required to take various levels of examination (i.e. basic studies, complementary studies, and discipline-specific studies). This will help provide a better picture of an applicant’s academic qualifications.

Work Experience and References Assessment

This is measured according to an applicant’s number of years of experience in the field, and the minimum is four years, one year of which should be in Canada (as an engineer-in-training). However, even if you haven’t completed one year of work experience within the country yet, you can already apply and perhaps become an engineer-on-training while completing other requirements.

Language Competency

English and/or French are required language in Canada, so applicants must be well versed in any or both of these languages. Upon application for immigration, you will be required to show proof of competency in these languages, but you may still need additional proof once you apply for an engineering license, depending on the requirements of the province in which you are applying.

Character References

You need people who can attest not only to your high level of engineering skills but people who can attest to your integrity and credibility as an individual. These should include professional engineers, and at least one of them should be licensed to practice in Canada.

Professional Practice Examination

This is an exam that all those applying for a license should take and pass. You can take this either inside Canada or even if you’re overseas while your application is being processed, depending on the province you’re applying to. The exam is held only twice a year, so keep yourself updated of the schedule to be sure you don’t miss any chance.

Canada’s engineer licensing program is available to those who are inside and outside Canada. If you’re interested to apply and you meet certain qualifications, give it a try and look forward to a bright future in the country. Below are some of the institutions that handle licensing in Canada:

National Level:

Engineers Canada
Phone: 613-232-2474 or 1-877-408-9273 or 613-230-5759 (fax)
Address: 180 Elgin Street, Suite 1100, Ottawa ON K2P 2K3 Canada

Provincial Level:

Alberta: Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
Phone: 780-426-3990 or 1-800-661-7020 or 780-426-1877 (fax)
Address: 1500 Scotia One, 10060 Jasper Avenue NW, Edmonton AB T5J 4A2 Canada

Ontario: Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
Email: MSaldanha@peo.on
Phone: 416-224-1100 or 1-800-339-3716 or 416-224-8168 (fax) or 1-800-268-0496 (fax)
Address: 40 Sheppard Avenue West, Suite 101, Toronto ON M2N 6K9 Canada

QuebecOrdre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ)
Phone: 514-845-6141 or 1-800-461-6141 or 514-845-1833 (fax)
Address: Gare Windsor, bureau 350, 1100, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal, Montréal QC H3B 2S2 Canada

Manitoba: Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Manitoba (APEGM)
Phone: 204-474-2736 or 1 (866) 227-9600 or 204-474-5960
Address: 870 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg MB R3M 2M7 Canada

SaskatchewanAssociation of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS)
Phone: 306-525-9547 or 1-800-500-9547 or 306-525-0851 (fax)
Address: 2255-13th Avenue, Suite 104, Regina SK S4P 0V6 Canada

New Brunswick: Engineers and Geoscientists New Brunswick
Phone: 506-458-8083 or 1-888-458-8083 or 506-451-9629 (fax)
Address: 183 Hanwell Road, Fredericton NB E3B 2R2 Canada

British Columbia: Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC)
Phone: 604-430-8035 or 1-888-430-8035 or 604-430-8085 (fax)
Address: Suite 200, 4010 Regent Street, Burnaby BC V5C 6N2 Canada

Nova Scotia: Engineers Nova Scotia
Phone: 902-429-2250 or 1-888-802-7367 or 902-423-9769 (fax)
Address: 1355 Barrington Street, P.O. Box 129, Halifax NS B3J 2M4 Canada

YukonAssociation of Professional Engineers of Yukon (APEY)
Phone: 867-667-6727 or 867-668-2142 (fax)
Address: 312B Hanson Street, Whitehorse YT Y1A 1Y6 Canada

Nunavut: Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists
Phone: 867-920-4055 or 867-873-4058
Address: 201, 4817-49th Street, Yellowknife NT X1A 3S7 Canada

Prince Edward Island: Engineers PEI
Phone: 902-566-1268 or 902-566-5551
Address: 135 Water Street, Charlottetown PE C1A 1A8 Canada

Newfoundland and Labrador: Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL)
Phone: 709-753-7714 or 709-753-6131 (fax)
Address: P.O. Box 21207, 10 Fort William Place, Suite 203, St. John’s NL A1A 5B2 Canada

Northwest Territories: Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists
Phone: 867-920-4055 or 867-873-4058 (fax)
Address: 201, 4817-49th Street, Yellowknife NT X1A 3S7 Canada

Enjoyed this post? Share it!